Last Updated on July 18, 2021 by Henry Matthew
Carrots are those kinds of vegetables that are known to have more than 100 types of species. Carrots can be small and stubby or high and tapered. Several carrots are stored as short as an inch or two (2.5-5 cm) long, others as long as 3 feet (90 cm). They can be ocherous, white, yellow, lavender, purple, or black-skinned.
Types Of Carrots
There are various carrot groups or types. Usually, these associations reflect root shape, time of development, or market quality.
- Paris Market-type carrots are short, looped, or square root. These are early-maturing crops or fast-growing carrots. Two Paris Market classes are ‘Thumbelina,’ which are rounded, blunt-tipped, very sugary, bright orange, and ‘Parmex,’ which is round and bright orange.
- Nantes-type carrots are average length, barrel-shaped, blunt end carrots. They are a quick gardening carrot. ‘Newmarket’ is a kind of Nantes carrot that is delicate and sweet-tasting. ‘Little Finger’ is a tiny nucleus carrot with a different sweet taste.
- Chantenay type carrots are main-season crop carrots with an appearance like a child’s top—plump and slightly reduced. ‘Red-Cored’ is an 1829 heritage Chantenay with a tiny core and distinctive flavor. ‘Sweetness’ is an orange-gold carrot that is very well fresh.
- Danvers type carrots are late harvest, medium slight, tapering rooted carrots ideal for collecting or overwintering. ‘Camberly’ is a dark orange, smooth-skinned Danvers-type carrot. ‘Danvers Half Long Improved” is a brilliant orange red-cored carrot.
- Imperator-type carrots are extra-large, slim, broad-shouldered carrots. These are huge, dark orange carrots best for shipping. ‘Tender sweet’ is an orange-red, sweet, supple Imperator type carrot.
How to Pick Carrots
- Choose carrots that are bright colored and well-shaped with glossy surfaces and closely cropped tops. Avoid carrots that are slack, weak, wilted, or split. The connected carrot greens should be bright green.
- Baby carrots should be humid and round, not slimy, damaged, or whitish.
Carrot Flavor and Harvest Size
- Baby carrots will be fresh and fragile but not as rich as slightly older carrots. Mature carrots are improbable to be sweet at all. Carrots drop flavor as they age.
- Tapered carrot kinds are ready to have at about finger length, and rounded types are picked at about ¾ inch (19 mm) over. Short, round types generally are more content to grow and tend to be sweeter than tapered families. Find out Best Juicers For Carrots.
How to Store Carrots
- Carrots will keep in a perforated plastic bag or storage bin in the fridge for ten days. Carrots kept longer will progressively lose their sweetness and rigidity.
- It is enough to store carrots with their heads detached; otherwise, the roots may lose dampness and nutrients.
- Sliced and blanched carrots will keep in the refrigerator for 1 to 3 months. You can ice sliced and blanched carrots for up to 6 months. Carrots preserved in vinegar brine (after boiling) will collect for up to 1 year.
- In favorable environments, carrots are left in the soil unharvested until you are ready to use them. Reserve carrots away from apples, pears, potatoes, and other vegetables or fruits that produce ethylene gas can cause carrots to become bitter.